Creating Innovative and Genuine Opportunities for People with Disabilities or Disadvantages to Support Their Community Participation
Mankato Thrift Shop
The MRCI Thrift Shop is a nonprofit fundraising project of the MRCI Auxiliary. Money from the sale of new and used items goes to assist adults with all types of disabilities. The help provided through Thrift Shop sales is an important element in the efforts of MRCI clients to realize their full potential.
MRCI's clients participate in their own support through employment in community businesses or at the MRCI facilities. To assist them in their work, the Auxiliary supplies buses and vans, special equipment, capital improvement funds and technological support from the money raised through Thrift Shop sales.
Auxiliary volunteers also provide social activities for clients including holiday parties, summer picnics and an annual open house for the public.
Objectives and Goals
- To raise money to help people with disabilities served by MRCI.
- To provide a clean, organized and attractive retail store where slightly used clothing and household goods can
- To provide a way for volunteers to help MRCI with its human services program.
- To provide items in good condition at prices affordable to most shoppers.
- To provide employment training for MRCI consumers.
Elements for Success
The MRCI Thrift Shop depends upon continued donations, cash contributions, the good will of its donors and customers and the dedication and loyalty of its volunteer workers.